With the post-pandemic tech boom in full swing, there’s never been a better time to break into the tech industry. But choosing the right company can be an anxiety-inducing experience, and how do you know which are the best tech companies to work for?
Sure, a company might look great on paper,but in the absence of a crystal ball, there’s no way to know for sure how much you’ll enjoy working there day-to-day. All you can do is be well researched, ask the right questions, and make sure the company’s values and cultures align with yours.
The truth is, it’s not just the big tech giants who are hailed as amazing places to work; more and more tech startups are boasting high employee satisfaction rates. So what are the best tech companies to work for?And how do you know which one is right for you?
We’re here to answer these questions and more. We’ll cover:
- What is the best tech company to work for in 2022?
- Which tech companies pay the most?
- How to choose a tech company that suits you
- The 10 best tech companies to work for
- Closing thoughts
Let’s dive in!
1. What is the best tech company to work for in 2022?
Unfortunately, there’s no straight answer to this question. It depends entirely on what you want out of your job, and what’s important to you in the long and short-term. Salary, culture, work-life balance, remote vs hybrid, career growth, company size—all these factors play a role in how you define a tech company to be worth pursuing.
When you think of ‘best tech company’ you might immediately think of the industry giants, like Meta, Google, or Apple. These companies offer above-average salaries, and the chance to be at the very forefront of the tech industry; working alongside some of tech’s biggest names. But they’re certainly not the only companies to offer exciting, career-affirming opportunities.
There’s certainly no harm in having a ‘dream’ company you’d like to work for, but there can be a downside to getting attached.
There are thousands and thousands of tech companies out there, and there’ll be more than one “perfect” company for you to serve you at different stages of your career. You need to work out what kind of company will suit you (we’ll explore this more a little further on).
2. Which tech companies pay the most?
There’s nothing worse than falling in love with a company, only to find out your salary expectations don’t align.
Perks and benefits are all well and good, but you’ll want to make sure you’re being fairly compensated for your work with a competitive salary, especially in the face of rising global inflation. So which tech companies can you expect to pay above average?
In terms of salaries, it should come as no surprise that the big tech companies (Meta, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon etc.) have consistently come out on top as having the world’s highest salaries for tech professionals.
Let’s look at a few examples for three popular tech roles. For consistency, we’ve pulled 2022 salary data from Glassdoor and presented it in USD:
- The average salary for a web developer in the USA is $69,274. For this job role, LinkedIn is offering an average salary of $144,272, Apple is offering $113,782, and Amazon is offering $101,067.
- The average salary for a UX designer in the USA is $105,122. For this job role, Paypal is offering an average salary of $159,270, Roblox is offering $153,582, and Microsoft is offering $131,967.
- The average salary for a data analyst in the USA is $69,517. Meta pays the most for this role at $127,207 a year, followed by Uber, who pay $116,515 on average.
Salaries differ hugely based on location, seniority, and job role, so you’ll want to use a salary comparison site like Glassdoor or Payscale to understand what the industry average is in your local area.
Depending on where you’re at in your tech career, and what you need in order to maintain a good quality of life, you’ll want to identify what your salary ‘bottom line’ is, to make sure you don’t settle for less than what you’re worth. Don’t forget, salaries can also be negotiated!
3. How to choose a tech company that suits you
Any tech company might sound great on paper,but going through the interview process when you don’t feel confident that you’ll actually like the role will only waste their time, and yours. So how do you know whether or not a company is the right fit?
Before embarking on your job hunt, here are three things to bear in mind:
Identify what your priorities are
Every company has its own unique culture and set of values. Funnily enough, so do you! It’s up to you to identify what’s important to you in a role.
- Do you want flexibility in where you work?
- Is professional development and career growth particularly important to you?
- Are you looking to join a large team or do you prefer working autonomously?
The answer to these questions might be “all of the above” but identifying what your work non-negotiables are, as well as your approach to working, will help you weed out the companies who don’t share your values.
Do your research
Naturally, every company is going to present itself in the most positive light. Without actively seeking negative reviews, it’s important to get an accurate understanding of what working there is really like.
What are their Glassdoor reviews saying? What’s the history of the company—have they had significant layoffs? In some cases, you might even want to reach out to members of your network who currently work there for an honest chat about their experience.
Ask the right questions
Interviews go both ways, and getting face time with current employees will allow you to really gauge whether this company could suit you. This is your chance to address any doubts you have about the company culture, and whether or not the role will help you achieve your career goals.
Some of the more generic questions are still good to ask; but you’ll also want to fire a few burning questions relating to your priorities—whether that’s work-life balance, diversity and inclusion, or career progression.
Be sure to also pay attention to how these interviews make you feel, and the impression your prospective teammates leave on you. Do you see yourself working with the team you met?
4. The 10 best tech companies to work for
Now that we’ve talked about how to work out whether or not a company is right for you, let’s dive into some of the best tech companies to work for in 2022. This is by no means an objective or exhaustive list; so don’t be discouraged if none of these companies are currently in your LinkedIn DM’s!
The best tech small tech companies to work for
Grover Gaming was listed at number two on Glassdoor’s list of best small and medium companies to work at in 2022, and is a multiyear recipient of Inc Magazine’s prestigious Inc 5000 award. With an empathetic and honest company culture, the North Carolina based startup has truly invested in its workforce—and it’s paid off.
Popular DevOps platform Bitrise is a flourishing global hub of web development innovation. If you like to work iteratively and collaboratively, this could be the right environment for you. Currently, Bitrise offers bi-annual bonuses based on company performance, a professional development stipend, and the opportunity to transform the way mobile apps are built.
Lokalise is an industry-leading localization and translation platform; and is hailed by employees as a fantastic place to work (not many companies have a 4.9 Glassdoor review!). As well as a smorgasbord of perks that encourage work-life balance and personal development, Lokalise works with high-profile companies and offers a lot of opportunities for creativity and innovation.
The best tech companies for remote working
Hopin is an all-in-one events management platform ranked by LinkedIn as a top startup of 2021. The company was founded in London, but went fully remote in 2019, and hires global talent all over the world. Becoming a “Hopinner” gives you access to perks like $1000 USD for Home-Office Set up, and a $100 monthly remote work stipend.
Deel is a pioneer in the world of remote working. Their platform helps companies hire, onboard, and pay employees in remote, distributed and international teams. As well as being remote-first, Deel allows its employees to choose where they work, and get access to the company’s global WeWork membership program.
While industry-leading CMS Hubspot is technically a hybrid company, they have a growing roster of talented remote employees based around the worldand an inclusive culture to support them. Hubspot is also featured as number two on Glassdoor’s roundup of the best companies to work for in 2022, so it’s definitely worth exploring their remote opportunities.
The best tech companies for work-life balance
Berlin-based company CareerFoundry offers accessible online career-change courses for the tech industry. The company offers remote-first work for all their Germany-based employees, as well as flexible working hours, a generous work-from-abroad policy of up to 6 months per year, 30 days off a year, and they’re trialing a reduced hours work week.
When it comes to perks, HotJar has them in spades—and time away from your desk isn’t just allowed, it’s actively encouraged. Among the employee benefits are 40 vacation days, €2,000 a year holiday budget, and a yearly wellbeing stipend of €2,400. Pretty much everything you need for the optimal work-life balance.
Asana promotes a healthy work-life balance with perks like remote working programs, paid sabbaticals, and generous parental leave. They’ve also taken measures to tackle burnout at work with a team of in-house mental health advocates, and ‘real talk sessions’ that offer employees a safe space to talk about their experiences.
In addition to remote working, Buffer boasts asynchronous working to facilitate the company’s ‘work from anywhere’ policy, unlimited PTO, and paid sabbaticals. Above all, the company offers the widely sought-after four-day work week (with no impact on salary); an initiative that’s recently been proven to boost productivity and improve mental health among employees.
5. Closing thoughts
So there we have it: The best tech companies to work for in 2022, and how to choose the right one to match your needs, goals, and working style.
The world of working is changing fast, and companies are having to follow suit to retain top talent. While remote or flexible working was once a ‘nice to have’, it’s now a commonplace working policy. This has meant higher expectations for job seekers.
It’s also important to note that your expectations might have to change depending on the kind of company you’re working for. Naturally, startups won’t be able to pay the same salaries or offer the same perks as more established tech companies; but that doesn’t mean they won’t offer fulfilling, enjoyable work.
Plus, you can always have an impact on the company culture from the inside, and suggest perks and benefits you think would enrich the lives of your fellow employees.
If you enjoyed reading this article, why not give these a read?
- 7 Workplace Trends to Look Out for in 2022
- How To Successfully Change Careers in 2022
- Why Tech is One of the Top Recession-Proof Industries
- Dropbox. Industry: Technology. ...
- SailPoint Technologies (tie) Industry: Technology. ...
- MathWorks (tie) Industry: Technology. ...
- Asana. Industry: Technology. ...
- Box. ...
- Zeigler Auto Group. ...
- Atlassian. ...
Between September 2021 and September 2022, employees were asked to rate their companies based on how satisfied they were with benefits and office perks. Microsoft came in at number one for large tech companies, with one survey responder stating the medical and fitness expenses are "extremely generous."Which IT jobs are most in demand 2022? ›
- DevOps Engineer.
- Cloud Architect.
- Product Manager.
- Programmer Analyst.
- AI Architect.
- Systems Analyst.
- Network Administrator.
- Software Engineer.
TCS helps its worldwide clients to build a meaningful future through innovation, technology, and collective knowledge. Tata Consultancy Services is the largest multinational business group having over 500,000 of the world's best-trained consultants in 46 countries including India, the USA, the UK and many others.What is the happiest company to work for? ›
Comparably published its annual list about the places where employees seem to be happiest. HubSpot placed number one in the 2022 edition of the large employer ranking. RingCentral and Adobe followed behind HubSpot on the list of companies and government agencies with over 500 employees.What industry has the happiest employees? ›
Childcare tops the list as the sector with the most satisfied professionals with 239 points overall. The sector scored the most points for positive impact on others (99), indicating nannies and childminders are most happy with how their job affects people's lives.Which company has the most happy employees? ›
Some questions that guide the data analysis include:
- Are you proud to be part of your company?
- On a scale of 1-10, how likely are you to recommend your company to a friend?
|Aggregate Rank||Country||Average Rank|
Big Tech, also known as the Tech Giants, Big Four, or Big Five, is a name given to the four or five most dominant companies in the information technology industry of the United States. The Big Four presently consists of Alphabet (Google), Amazon, Apple, and Meta (Facebook)—with Microsoft completing the Big Five.
|Highest paying Technology Companies|
|Top Tech Companies||Tech company Salary||% High Job Satisfaction|
- Google. ...
- Netflix. ...
- LinkedIn. ...
- Apple. ...
- Uber. ...
- Amazon. ...
- Stripe. ...
- Microsoft. Microsoft is another tiered company, with levels from SDE (entry-level) to 67 at the top.
- Tech Mahindra.
- Information Security Engineer. ...
- Full-Stack Engineer. ...
- Data Scientist. ...
- Machine Learning Engineer. ...
- Java Developer. ...
- Data Engineer. ...
- Cloud Engineer. ...
- Backend Engineer.
Rising fast in demand, companies are seeking to hire artificial intelligence (AI) & machine learning designers/developers/engineers. According to TechRepublic, artificial intelligence and machine learning is one of the most in demand and essential IT jobs for the future economy.What will be the highest paying IT career 5? ›
- Software Engineering Manager $134,156.
- Mobile Applications Developer - $111,468.
- Information Systems Security Manager - $153,677.
- Database Manager - $58,161.
- Data Security Analyst -$71,226.
- Product Manager - $100,000.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engineer - $110,000.
|Company||Expected growth||Forward P/E|
|Electronic Arts (Nasdaq: ERTS)||16%||25.6|
|EMC (NYSE: EMC)||15%||15.1|
|Akamai Technologies (Nasdaq: AKAM)||14%||29.4|
|Oshkosh Corp. (NYSE: OSK)||12%||6.8|
Take one step outside and chances are you'll see many buildings that construction workers finished. Construction workers are the #1 happiest job for a reason—they do what humans are built for! They plan, move and use their bodies, and get to see their creative works come to life.
- Dental Hygienist.
- Physical Therapist.
- Radiation Therapist.
- Human Resources Manager.
- Product management: 62%
- Engineering: 60%
- Real estate: 59%
- Program and project management: 58%
- Consulting: 57%
- Human resources: 56%
- Finance: 56%
- Purchasing: 55%
- Web Developer.
- Occupational Therapist.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant.
- Computer Systems Analyst.
- Data Scientist.
- Software Developer.
- Physician Assistant.
- Software Developer.
- Nurse Practitioner.
- Speech-Language Pathologist.
- IT Manager.
- Physical Therapist Assistant.
- Computer Programmer. ...
- Drafter. ...
- Funeral Director. ...
- Jeweler. ...
- Lab Technician. ...
- Librarian. ...
- Market Research Analyst. ...
- Writer. What you'd do: Writers create content for books, advertisements, scripts, blogs, magazines, etc.
- Elsevier. Elsevier helps scientists and healthcare professionals make discoveries, improve lives, and advance society. ...
- Google. ...
- Microsoft. ...
- IBM. ...
- Boingo Wireless.
- Papaya Pay.
- First Media.
- Microsoft Corporation. Microsoft Corporation is headquartered in Redmond, Washington, and is one of the largest companies in the world and leads a list of Top 10 IT Companies. ...
- IBM. ...
- Accenture. ...
- Oracle. ...
- SAP. ...
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) ...
- Deloitte Consulting. ...
- SPR. ...
- BairesDev. ...
- Valtech. ...
- Kin + Carta. ...
- Big Nerd Ranch. ...
- MAS Global Consulting. ...
- Vincit. ...
- HData Systems. HData Systems offers Big-Data Analytics and Business Intelligence service to their global clients.
- USA. The United States of America is a pioneer in new technologies and has an economy that is highly dependent on IT. ...
- Germany. ...
- Finland. ...
- Singapore. ...
- Canada. ...
- Japan. ...
- The Netherland. ...
- The UK.
- Augmented Reality.
- Artificial Intelligence.
- Internet of Things.
- 3D Printing.
- Computer Vision.
- Touchscreen and infinity display.
- Crowdfunding websites.
- Cloud computing.
Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Alphabet's Google – collectively known as the 'Big Four' tech companies in the West – are increasingly under regulatory scrutiny over the way they run their businesses and whether they are simply too dominant in their respective markets.What are the 7 big companies? ›
- Walmart (WMT) - $576 billion.
- Amazon (AMZN) - $486 billion.
- Petro China (PTR) - $443 billion.
- Saudi Aramco (2222.SR) - $394 billion.
- Apple, Inc. ( AAPL) - $388 billion.
- Deloitte. Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, popularly known as Deloitte, is a multinational company that specializes in professional services networks. ...
- EY (Ernst & Young) ...
- KPMG (Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler) ...
- PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers)
A robot manufacturing company is looking for a human face to put on its newest product. Promobot, a European company, said in a press release that it is willing to pay $200,000 to someone for the rights to use their face forever.Can you make 500k a year as a software engineer? ›
Yes, a software engineer can make $500,000 a year.
However, $500,000 a year is far higher than the average salary of a software engineer. Software engineers typically earn a salary that falls within the range of $60,000 per year to $130,000 per year.
Projected Average Tech Salary Increments in 2022
The 'Salary Guide 2022' by Robert Half predicts that salary increments will be higher than the average 3.8% pay hike for certain specialties such as front-end developers (6%) and database administrators (6.9%).
- McKinsey & Company.
- The Boston Consulting Group.
- Bain & Company.
- Rolls Royce.
- ZS Associates.
Cloud computing is one of the most trending technologies with a high demand for qualified professionals. With most organizations (whether big or small) moving to the cloud, there is a massive boom in cloud-related jobs.
- Data Scientist.
- Data Analyst.
- Blockchain Engineer.
- UX Designer.
- Cyber Security Engineer.
- Cloud Developer.
- DevOps Engineer.
- Digital Marketing Specialist.
Technology Careers Outlook
This sector growth translates to an increase in the number of professionals needed in the field. In the U.S., computer and information technology jobs are projected to increase by 13% between the years 2020 and 2030 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2021).
- Cloud Architect - $107,000.
- DevOps Engineer - $140,000.
- Blockchain Engineer - $150,000.
- Software Architect - $114,000.
- Big Data Engineer - $140,000.
- Internet of Things (IoT) Solutions Architect - $130,000.
- Data Scientist - $150,000.
The consensus seems to be that the financial sector, industrial sector, capital goods will do well in 2022. Pharmaceuticals are also looking to make a mark, and a few experts have placed their bets on real estate and automobiles while others have advised against them.What are the trending technologies in next 5 years? ›
Machine learning and Artificial intelligence are technology trends that will not go away anytime soon.Which career will boom in future? ›
- Industrial machinery mechanics.
- Substance abuse, behavioral disorder, and mental health counselors. ...
- Human resources specialists. ...
- Construction managers. ...
- Elementary school teachers (except special education) ...
- Sales managers. ...
- Sales Development Representative. Year-over-year growth: 191.7% ...
- Business Development Representative. Year-over-year growth: 178.1% ...
- Talent Acquisition Specialist. ...
- Marketing Coordinator. ...
- Data Analyst. ...
- Financial Analyst. ...
- Legal Assistant. ...
- Inside Sales Representative.
- Coding And Software Enhancement.
- Artificial Intelligence.
- Networking Development.
- Soft Skills.
- Algorithms Designer.
- Cloud Computing.
- UI Designer.
- Online Framework.
As of Nov 5, 2022, the average monthly pay for a Highest in the United States is $9,193 a month. While ZipRecruiter is seeing monthly salaries as high as $20,917 and as low as $2,125, the majority of Highest salaries currently range between $5,208 (25th percentile) to $12,500 (75th percentile) across the United States.What are the 5 top jobs in the US? ›
- Registered nurse. National average salary from June 2021-May 2022: $84,074 per year. ...
- Optometrist. National average salary: $118,389 per year. ...
- Site reliability engineer. National average salary: $137,324. ...
- Real estate agent. ...
- Pharmacist. ...
- Over-the-road truck driver. ...
- Software engineer. ...
- Nurse practitioner.
- Home health aide.
- Grounds maintenance worker.
- Nursing assistant.
- Medical assistant.
- Solar installer.
- Physical therapist assistant.
- Registered nurse.
- General and operations manager. ...
- Accountant. ...
- Applications software developer. ...
- Personal financial advisor. ...
- Physical therapist. ...
- Nurse practitioner. ...
- Physician assistant. ...
- Data Science & Cloud Computing (Cloud computing goes hand in hand with data science, and cloud computing jobs range from architects and developers to data scientists)
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML)
- Big Data Science.
- Digital Marketing & Strategy.